Sun season is fast approaching and so grows my paranoia about losing or damaging my favorite pair of sunglasses. I’m very active in the summer months, so putting a safe and fashionable hold on my new Supers was definitely the inspiration for this project.
The icing on this golden cake — I partnered with local designer and maker Karma Victoria Jewelry…to tap into her expertise, design style and beautiful supplies!
The exact chain we made requires the following supplies:
- 1 30-inch gold snake chain
- 1 gold curb/oval link chain
- 4 gold cut-out pendants
- 8 small gold loops
- 2 sunglass strap rubber fittings
- 1 pair needle-nose jewelry pliers
- 1 pair jewelry cutters
- Using the jewelry pliers, connect two of the hollow pendants using a gold loop, creating a pendant chain. Repeat for the other two pendants.
- Add a gold loop to one end of the snake chain and connect to one of the pendant chains. Repeat this on the other end of the snake chain.
- Using the jewelry cutters, trim the curb chain into two 2-inch sections; connect the rubber fittings to the end of each section, using gold loops.
- Finally, connect the open end of the curb chain to the pendant chain, using a gold loop. Repeat for the remaining section.
Voila! Functional yet fashionable…and your sunnies are safe, come what may! If you want a less complicated chain, simply omit the cut-out pendants and just run with the contrasting chain textures.
…love this chain, but not into making? Contact Karma Victoria Jewelry to request a custom made piece!
Also, I’m starting a new blog series called Maker Spotlight, which will follow-up any collaborative DIY project I post…so stay tuned for an upcoming interview with the maker behind Karma Victoria!